Camp SCS-2, Camp Crawford, Elizabeth, West Virginia & Camp SCS-10, Camp Catell, Milton, WV
From "The C.C.C. Camps in West Virginia: 1933 - 1942", Milton Harr, 2nd Ed. 1997. It lists all the CCC camps in West Virginia
SCS-10 Camp Cabell was located in Cabell County about two miles east of Milton on bottom land of the Berkeley farm, south of US Rt. 60 and between the highway and the railroad tracks. Due to its location, the camp was able to obtain water service from the Town of Milton. The camp was occupied July 31, 1939 by CCC Company 1512 which had been transferred from Camp Crawford, SCS-2, Elizabeth.
Work on local farms included fence construction, gully treatment, surveying and land preparation for strip cropping. A major project was the construction of a dam, crating a one acre pond, about a mile southeast of Milton on County Rt. 25.
H.B. Fisher and Homer G. Davies were company commanders and H. G. Debald was camp superintendent.
The last inspection report was dated August 2, 1940, however, it is believed that the camp remained in operation until May or June of 1941. The camp buildings were dismantled in September and October of that year.
BACK TO JAMES F. JUSTIN CCC MUSEUM, UNIT ROSTER AND HISTORY COLLECTION
Please Share your Stories! E-mail the Curator to share or discuss or with any questions!