History of Company 2911
Camp North Bend, Camp F-85, North Bend, Washington
Company 2911 was organized as Co. 1302 at Fort George Meade, Maryland, as a Third Corps Area Company, on May 21, 1933, under the command of Capt. George Tabscott. The entire company was shipped west at once to Granite Camp, a distance of 155 miles from Kemmerer, Wyoming. Here the company membership was built up to fifty. Construction of the camp was begun and the regular project work started. On the twenty-first of November, Capt. Tabscott was relieved and Capt. P. Sampson, Inf-Res., was assigned and assumed command. On October 14, 1933, the entire company except three officers, were transferred to other companies and on the twenty-first these three officers and two enlisted men entrained for Bremerton, Washington and arrived at Navy 1 Camp Ostrich Bay on October 24th. At this time the company number was changed to 2911.
During the month of November, 1933 the Ostrich Bay Camp was under construction and by the fifteenth was considered 100 percent completed, and the general routine of the forestry work was under way. On May 13, 1934, the new baseball field was dedicated and Camp Ostrich Bay held its first open house. On May 18th Capt. W. Heath assumed command. The following months through to April, 1935, were apparently uneventful, the time being taken with routine camp life with diversions on holidays and field days.
On April 24, 1935, a detachment of enrollees were sent to North Bend to start construction on the new camp. Capt. W.G. Taverner relieved Capt. Heath on June 25th. On July 2, 1935, the entire company moved to North Bend.
On the third of July the enrollees started clearing the camp area. About one-fourth of the enrollees spent the Forth of July in search of a girl who was reported lost on Mount Si. The girl was found by the enrollees the following morning. After considerable work the building of Camp North Bend was reported completed August 14, 1935.
On September 10, the entire company was grieved by the death of Enrollee Howard Foster. He was killed when the car he was riding in hit the rear end of a large truck that was parked near the side of the road. On February 21, 1936, Lt. R.M. Parrott, Medical Officer of Camp North Bend, left for Camp Ginkgo. Dr. Charles E. Yoho arrived from that camp to take Lt. Parrotts place as this camps doctor. The next day an emergency call was received for men to assist in clearing snow off the Snoqualmie Pass Road. Nearly all the enrollees were sent out of camp to assist in this work.
In the middle of May a report was received stating that an airplane had crashed somewhere in the nearby mountains. A Large rescue group sent from this camp, with great difficulty finally succeeded in bringing out the bodies of the victims who were Cecil Ollinger, a 29 year old logging company operator, his wife, Midred, 27, and their daughter, Dixie Lee, age 7, from Milton, Oregon. They apparently were on their way to a party in Seattle.
Command of the North Bend Camp was taken over by Capt. David L. Painter August 22, 1936, and on November 1, 1936. Lt. Perley A. Washburn was appointed Company Commander.
On April 4, 1937, the FOURTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS, was celebrated in camp and a large number of visitors were escorted around the camp. Judge Guy B. Knott, of Seattle, made the principal address of the day. Many interesting contests were held, and the climax of the day came when a delicious dinner was served.
Since the time Camp North Bend was first organized the enrollees have been called out on not less than thirty forest fires. The enrollees of this camp have gained a fine reputation as forest fire fighters.
Brigadier General Alfred T. Smith, U.S. Army Commander of Fort Lewis District, accompanied by Capt. G. P. Howell, and Area Inspector Capt. David L. Painter, arrived on October 17, 1937, to inspect the camp. The General and his party found the camp in excellent condition.
The original Camp North Bend was contained on only 10 acres of land and the CCC boys planted many, many trees on this land. It is believed to be one of the very few remaining COMPLETE CCC CAMPS in the U.S. It was purchased by the Highline School District in 1957 as a result of the efforts of a Highline high School fund raising activity. The camp was renamed CAMP WASKOWITZ in honor of a Washington University graduate who became a Nay fighter pilot and, it has been told, destroyed a Japanese cruiser when he dived his aircraft into the center of this ship because he knew he would not be able to return to his aircraft carrier. Camp Waskowitz now contains 400 acres and is used constantly as an outdoor education part.
----- KSwanson-Woolf AT doc DOT gov
Biography of Carl W. Swanson, Company 2911, Camp North Bend, Camp F-85, North Bend, Washington
BACK TO JAMES F. JUSTIN CCC MUSEUM, UNIT ROSTER AND HISTORY COLLECTION