History of 602nd
Civilian Conservation Corps Company
CCC Company 602, Webster, Washington & Camp Sciad,
California & Camp Lightning Creek, Clarks Fork, Idaho & Camp Double Bend,
Camp F-41, Newald, Wisconsin
Civilian Conservation Corps District, Sixth Corps Area, 1937 Annual
602nd Company CampDoubleBend,
F-41-Wis Newald, Wisconsin
The company was organized at FortSheridan about the middle of April, 1933. The junior officer
Lieut. Thompson, is the only officer of the original
company whose name is known. After conditioning at the Fort the company moved
out west to upper Oregon. The bank with which financial business was
transacted was located at Webster, Washington. They remained in upper Oregon for about eight months working on road construction
and tree planting projects, mainly.
The next several months the company
spent in California’s SciadValley. Much of the time here was spent on dam construction
projects. The company occupied a camp named after the valley, CampSciad.
The company’s next move was to Clarks
Fork, Idaho, to occupy a camp called Camp Lightening Creek. Here
again the project was largely road construction. They were here until the fall
October 1935, the company left Idaho to return east to FortSheridan. Lieut. Thompson continued as junior officer. October 26, 1936,
they arrived at FortSheridan with eleven key men.
While at FortSheridan the recruiting was completed to bring the strength up
to 186 men. Lieut. Thompson was now acting as commanding officer. November 7, 1935,
the company left FortSheridan for its final home before disbandment.
November 8, 1935,
they arrived at Newald, Wisconsin, about four miles from the camp, which was located
among huge boulders and amid much mud. The road from the town of Newald was very winding and contained two large bends or a
double bend, hence the name of the camp, Camp Double Bend.
Lieut. Thompson continued as
commanding officer for about two weeks, until Lieut. Welch, Air-Res., arrived to take command. Conditions were difficult
and the men had many inconveniences and discomforts to put up with. The large
boulders strewn throughout the entire camp area between which large pools of
water and mud accumulated made a very unpleasant setting. The big project was
to improve the camp area and this work continued on to the time of disbandment.
Capt. Barnes arrived June, 1936, to
take over the duties of commanding officer. Lieut. Welch remained as junior officer.
Mr. Walter Adrian was educational adviser.
The fall of 1936 a heavy road-building
program was undertaken as the work project in the field. A very creditable
record was made, four miles of road was constructed, under the direction of the
Camp Superintendent Mr. Morris Hancock and his technical staff.
December 1, 1936,
Capt. L.M. Eek, Air-Res., came to the company to take
over the responsibility as commanding officer. Lieut. Raymond Baxter was the
junior officer. Lieut. Arronson,
Med-Res., camp surgeon. This same month Lieut.
Arronson was transferred and Dr. Adolph J. Newman,
contract surgeon, took over the responsibility for medical service.
Late in January, the Ohio flood duty called seventeen men and Lieut. Baxter
with four forestry trucks and the Army truck to aid the victims of the flood.
They returned the first part of March, 1937. A few days after returning from
flood relief duty, Lieut. Baxter was transferred to CampNewald and Lieut. Marion B. Lithgow came to the company as
A strenuous basketball program was
undertaken, the team winning a high percentage of games played, placing third
in the Area tournament. Baseball prospects were excellent for a winning team,
but with news of the disbandment of the company, no games were played.
Orders for disbandment came the last
week of May, 1937. Men were transferred to other camps and on , May 30,
1937, Company 602 went out of existence.
Submitted by Curator
Please Share your Stories! E-mail the Curator to share or discuss or
with any questions!