CCC Contributions to Allegany State Park, New York
Company 249, Camp S-15 / S-19 / SP-51 & Company 3216, Camp S-106 & Company 1231-V, Camp SP-39
The following information was gathered from various issues of The ASP Historian published quarterly by the Allegany State Park Historical Society, Salamanca, New York.
Allegany State Park, located near Salamanca New York, owes much of its facilities to the men of the CCC. There were at least three companies ( 249, 3216 and 1231-V ) working in its confines from 1933 to 1937 and several more camps ( Camps S-15, S-19, SP-39, SP-51 and Camps 18, 50, 51, and 57 (57 seems to be the same as S-19 ).
Company 249 arrived at SP-15 on June 20, 1933 moved to Camp S-19 on November 10, 1933, both camps being near Salamanca, and then moved to Camp SP-51 near Red House on August 12, 1935.
Company 3216 worked from Camp SP-106 from September 10, 1935 near Salamanca.
Company 1231-V, a group of World War One Veterans, worked from Camp SP-39 at Quaker Bridge beginning on either January 7, 1935 or May 25, 1937. The newsletter says the former while other research indicates the latter. It may well be that one marks the beginning of the camp and the other the beginning of its work projects ( though starting construction of a camp in this clime in January sounds iffy ). In either case the camp closed in March 18, 1937 and became the property of the Diocese of Buffalo which used it as a Catholic Boy's Camp. Later this camp became Camp Turner in June of 1938. Camp Turner, now in Quaker Run in new facilities, remain active and hosts the CCC reunion.
The Camp numbers, 18, 50, 51 and 57 may be interior Park numbers rather than official CCC designations since Camp S-19 is also Camp 57. It is not clear.
In any case, the CCC men in Camp 18 was near the German Village area of the park and closed on October 9, 1937. This was near Camp SP-39 ( later Camp Turner ) on either side of Quaker Run. When some of the buildings were dismantled on the Camp Turner side of the Run, the scrap material was sold to cabin owners in the German Village at low cost.
The men of Camp 50 were near Red House and issued in January of 1936 the first issue of their camp newsletter, The Crusader.
From what can be gathered the CCCs built a stone observation tower, stone pillars at the entrance to Red House, the Bee Hunter Hiking Trail, the Ryan Trail and the Cabins along it, a school house and a toboggan slide on the park grounds. Although this is the only work recorded in the newsletter, doubtless the men laid out many a trail and constructed numerous park buildings and facilities, including ski trails located in the Park, as was the standard when the CCC went to work on a State Park of this sort.
It is clear from the enthusiasm of the Historical Society for the CCCs, that the enrollees who worked in Allegany State park contributed and continue to contribute greatly to the society of that region by their hard work in making Allegany State park an enjoyable and accessible natural resource for many generations.
BACK TO JAMES F. JUSTIN CCC MUSEUM, UNIT ROSTER AND HISTORY COLLECTION