Camp Enotah P-55-Ga / SP-2-Ga, Blairsville, Georgia
Builders of Vogel State Park
Submitted and transcribed from unknown origin but seems to be from 1934 booklet as history ends there
CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS COMPANY 431 was organized at Fort Bragg, N.C., under the command of Capt. Phillip W. Ricamore, Inf. D.O.L., assisted by Lieut. Archer V. Shelton, Eng-Res., and 2nd Lieut. J.G. Ferguson, Inf-Res., on May 27, 1933, with a strength of one hundred ninety-two members from Eastern North Carolina.
The usual period of three weeks for conditioning the men followed a week of preparation for closing the conditioning camp and the company embarked by train from Fort Bragg on June 20, 1933 for their campsite. Arriving in Murphy, N.C., the nearest point on a railroad to the campsite, on the morning of June 21, 1933, the company was transported to the campsite by trucks and a temporary camp established. The campsite is a small narrow valley situated about 10 miles southeast of Blairsville, GA., on US Highway no. 19 between two ranges of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
On the morning after arriving in camp a part of the boys were turned over to Camp Superintendent J.P. Baskin and work on the projects under his jurisdiction was started. The rest of the company remained in camp for improvements to the grounds and to begin the construction of the permanent camp. Work of improving the permanent home of the company went forward rapidly and the company soon had a mess hall constructed and their sleeping quarters moved to a higher and permanent location with wooden floors installed.
Camp overhead was reduced to a minimum in middle August and work on the forestry projects began in earnest. The work in the beginning for the most part, consisted of the construction of roads, trails, fire-breaks, fire towers and telephone lines. The original camp was designated GA. P-55 and work done was mainly on privately owned mountain lands.
Capt. P.W. Ricamore was relieved as camp commander on August 15, 1933, and replaced by Lieut. R.T. Whitley USN; 2nd Lieut J.G. Ferguson was transferred on the same date, leaving only two officers on duty. Lieut. David R. Thomas MRC, was assigned to the company for the purpose of rendering medical service.
Between the establishing of the camp and the end of the first enrollment period on October 5, 1934, the company was reduced to one hundred and nine members but was brought back to authorized strength of two hundred by replacements from North Carolina enrollees and by local enrollees late in November 1933.
Prior to the coming of winter the sleeping quarters of the men, officers, and forestry personnel was improved by having sides and doors added to the tent quarters and stoves installed in the tents. A recreational hall was erected with stage and picture projection booth and games of every description furnished to keep the men amused during the winter.
On February 6, 1934, the camp was changed to that of a State Park camp and designated as GA. Camp SP-2. With this change, the nature of the work being done changed also. Work now was altogether in State Parks in the vicinity of the camp and consisted of a saw mill operation which furnished lumber and logs for building shelters, cabins and recreational buildings in the park areas. Extensive landscaping in the parks was also accomplished during the winter and spring. The principal project under way at the present time is the construction of a dam that which will put approximately fifty acres of land under water and which will furnish electric lights and power for the park areas in the vicinity.
Lieut. R.T. Whitney was relieved as Commanding Officer in February 1934 due to illness and was succeeded by Lieut. Archer V. Shelton Eng-Res. Lieut. C.W. Armstrong reported for duty as assistant on March 19, 1934. Medical service is rendered members of the camp by Lieut. W.S. Cornell MRC, at the present he's making a visit to the camp every day. Lieut. Chaplain Jack P. Morrison is the company chaplain and holds services twice monthly.
The company was reduced in strength to one hundred thirty-two members at the end of the second enrollment period on April 5, 1934, but the strength has again been increased to the maximum of two hundred and six by the addition of seventy-four new enrollees sent out from Fort Bragg, N.C. on May 2, 1934.
Work accomplished during the ten months period the camp has been in operation is the building of 14 miles of road, ten miles of foot and horse trails, clearing one mile of fire break, erecting nineteen miled of telephone lines, erecting five hundred cubic yards of rubble stone masonry, building three log cabins, two picnic shelters, two fire towers and a stone veneered tea room, landscaping forthy acres of parks, sawing 250,000 board feet of lumber of which 75,000 board feet was planed and various small jobs of improvements to existing roads, trails on private lands and building on parks.
BACK TO JAMES F. JUSTIN CCC MUSEUM, UNIT ROSTER AND HISTORY COLLECTION
Please Share your Stories! E-mail the Curator to share or discuss or with any questions!