JAMES F. JUSTIN CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS MUSEUM
Soil Conservation Service Camps
The Soil Conservation Service was established in the Department of Agriculture (USDA) in 1935, replacing the Soil Erosion Service which had been established in 1933, and acquiring duties from other Government agencies. In 1937, it began to provide technical and other assistance to farmers in soil conservation districts organized under State laws. In 1938, the SCS was given responsibility for farm forestry programs. In 1935, regional offices had been established to supervise conservation work in large geographic areas, and in 1938-39 area offices were created to assist the regional offices. State offices replaced area offices in 1942. The Soil Conservation Service was abolished pursuant to a 1994 act that reorganized the Department of Agriculture. Its functions were acquired by the newly established Natural Resources Conservation Service.
The Soil Conservation Service became a key utilizer of the Civilian Conservation Corps. Camps serving SCS projects were the second largest in number, foremost being those working for the Forestry Department.
The Role of the Soil Conservation Service The Soil Conservation Service was dedicated to preserving the farmlands of America, and protecting against flood. Use Back Key to Return
UNDER CONSTRUCTION MORE TO COME
Please Share your Stories! E-mail the Curator to share or discuss or with any questions!
BACK TO JAMES F. JUSTIN CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS MUSEUM
This Page and Its Contents and all original pages linked thereto Are the Property of John Justin @ Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 All Rights Reserved