Military Records are housed at:

National Archives and Records Administration

National Personnel Records Center

9700 Page Avenue

St. Louis, MO 63132

     They Have provided the following information and instructions for obtaining military service information: Thank you for contacting the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), Military Records facility (MPR) located in St. Louis, MO. We are a regional division of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

     You should be advised that there was a terrible fire at this facility on July 12, 1973 which destroyed about 18,000,000 records of Army, Army Air Corps and Air Force veterans. The records effected were those of veterans who were separated from the Army between November 1, 1912 and January 1, 1960. Only The records of Army, Army Air Corps and Air Force members were destroyed/damaged in the fire. Additionally not every single record of all Army and AF persons were destroyed - some were recovered in their entirety or only partially damaged. Additionally about 75% of the records of Air Force personnel with the surnames Hubbard through "Z" discharged between September 25, 1947 (establishment date of the Air Force) and January 1, 1964 were also destroyed. Navy, Marines and Coast Guard members' records were not involved.

      We can, however, reconstruct certain data related to the service of those veterans. All requests for access to or information from an Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) must be written, signed and dated - even those personally from the veteran.

If you would kindly RETURN THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE along with your current mailing address we will be glad to mail forms, instructions and informational items to assist you.

Additional information on NPRC and MPR can be obtained from our

homepages at the following URLs:



If you are a completely discharged or retired veteran, you can send a signed and dated letter to:

National Archives and Records Administration

National Personnel Records Center

9700 Page Avenue

St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Be sure to provide the following information:

1. Full name of the veteran

2. Service number or social security number

3. Branch of service

4. Approximate dates of service

5. Information needed

6. Veteran's signed and dated authorization (if you are not the veteran); information to requestors other than the veteran are restricted under

the Privacy Act

7. Reason for the request

8. Your return address

     Information that can be released to a third party from a Official Military Personnel file is governed by the Privacy Act of 1974. Access and release of information are strictly limited and restricted to those things which are not considered to be unwarranted invasions of personal privacy under the Freedom of Information Act. These will be described more fully in one of the informational items that will be forwarded to you if you decide to provide your current mailing address.

     For information from Merchant Marine files you should contact the following office:

Director (NMC4A)

U.S. Coast Guard

National Maritime Center

4200 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 51

Arlington, VA 22203-1804

     Thank you for contacting your National Archives and Records Administration.


ALSO For Searching Coast Guard and Merchant Marine records, see this site

How to Research the Coast Guard & Merchant Marine


Heavy Bombers: Research Guide, Instructions on how to research veteran records




Please Share your Stories! E-mail the Curator to share or discuss or with any questions! 1