CCC Camp Dedicates New Recreation Hall
From the newspaper The West Orange Weekly Chronicle, January 12, 1934
From the New Jersey State Library Collection
The new recreation hall at Camp 4, South Mountain reservation, West Orange, New Jersey, was officially dedicated last week with Company 1281 and 234 and representatives of nearby service clubs participating. ( Curator's Note the meaning of Camp 4 is not clear, Company 1281 was in Camp SP-7, and Company 234 was in SP-2 though in 1936 it would move into Camp SP-7, Co. 1281 presumably having moved on to a new location at that time or simply disbanding).
Dr. Charles W. Crankshaw, Jr., led the 300 men present in an old fashioned song. To complete the musical program the Orange-West Orange Kiwanis Club trio entertained P.E. Shadbolt of the Y.M.C.A., Wallace Broadbent principal of the Central School, and Dr. Crankshaw, did the singing, assisted by Howard Oliver at the piano.
The East Orange Kiwanis supplied the evening's speaker in the person of Frank Jewel Raymond who talked in an inspiring fashion. He counseled the boys "to stand on their own feet," so that when they return to industry they can better cope with life's problems.
This program is one of a series which the New Jersey Service Clubs plan to give before the 28 C.C.C Companies in the state. Final details will be worked out shortly by the committees in charge.
The following were among those present: Mr. Van Houghton, P.H. Glennon, Mr. Jarmal, also Captain Howard S. MacKurdy, Captain Leo F. Post and Chaplain Donald E. Gerrish.
BACK TO JAMES F. JUSTIN CCC MUSEUM, NEWSPAPER ARTICLE COLLECTION