Biography of James Favala

CCCman, Assistant Leader, Company 272, Camp 52, Boston Corners, New York

S/Sgt, Trainer, Fort MCClellan & Co C., 83rd Inf, Huertgen Forest, USA

     I was born in Camden, New Jersey.  I enrolled at Camp Dix, its called Fort Dix now, New Jersey on May 16, 1933. I enrolled in the CCCs when I was 18 years old, although my Discharge incorrectly says I was 20. I was there at Camp Dix in training until June 8, 1933. The short time we were there, consisted of fatigue work only. We stayed a couple of weeks. Then we were shipped out. We took a train to Boston Corners, New York.

     After training at Camp Dix we went to our assignment Camp. I was assigned to Company 272. This Company was at CCC Camp 52, in Boston Corners, New York. I arrived there on June 9, 1933. We were located at a small hamlet called Boston Corners on Route 22, called so because you could go into Conn. & Massachusetts. Hudson was a large city located not far from our camp. The fellows went there to help spend their $5.00 at the cat houses.

     Our Camp staff was Army. Our CO was a Captain, Our Mess Sergeant was a Buck Sergeant. Our supply officer was a Corporal. But we did not have any Army discipline.  We did no flag raising or retreat ceremony. I also did not see any inspections, everything was informal.

     When we moved from the bottom of the mountain we went into barracks built by contractors.

     Our camp searched and worked for the eradication of the gypsy moth which were infesting the forests. We had a great group of fellows and forest rangers to guide us. Some of the fellows names I still remember. Our foreman was named Moss. Then there was Dave Trimmer, we called him Windy, and his brother.

    We would drive a truck to the site and then go into the woods with the ranger blazing the trees so we could get back out. Good work for keeping in shape. We went out in the mornings and got on our trucks to go to our destination.

     We lived in tents until winter set in. Barracks were then built.

     The food in camp was good. We had peanut butter & jelly and baloney and cheese sandwiches to eat when we were away from camp.

     I loved sports. We played sports, but just pick up teams from our Company. I was not in formal competition until after I got out of the CCCs. We had baseball, football, and I also did a little boxing. I boxed among our fellows in the camp. I was a middle weight. I put the gloves on against a professional heavyweight. For other entertainment, in our rec hall, after we moved, we had a pool table, a piano and a ping pong table.

    Our camp put on some benefits for the church at Copake. To earn a little money I played music for dancing in town. I played music with two other fellows, both from NY city, one a piano player and the other a guitarist. Vinney Paglione played the piano and another fellow played a beautiful steel string guitar. Excellent players. I played the violin. Our combo played for dancing & entertainment at the churches in town, Copake. We played for the girls and fellows. Charged 25 cents for the boys and girls free, a great time.

     For other recreatioin, a movie house was built in town for us to see movies.

     I was promoted to Assistant Leader on May 1, 1934.

      I was discharged on June 30, 1934 at the end of my enrollment. My Commanding Officer, Captain John Clendinning, Jr, Infantry- Reserve noted my Honorable Discharge that my performance was excellent. Also, with the $25 a month sent home during my service my father bought my mother her first washing machine, a Thor.

      It was a great year of my life. The best year of my life.

      When I cam home in '34 I played football with our home team called Lamarr, S.C.(Curator's Note, Sports Club?). I played with a semi-pro team in 1934 in Philadelphia, Seymour A.A. ( Athletic Association?). I was a Guard.

     Then World War took me to the ETO with C Company, in the 83rd Division. But that's another story. On the way I helped train men at Fort McClellan, Alabama for over a year. Sent overseas to the ETO. Wounded at the Battle of the Huertgen Forest, Germany, was a Staff Sergeant when discharged.

----- Jim Favala

Curator's Note, Given the Location of Boston Corners, then Mr. Favala was either in Company 202 at Camp S-3 or Company 272 Camp P-83

you may write Mr. Favala via the Curator


CCC Honorable Discharge, Front, Back, James Favala, CCCman, Assistant Leader, Company 272, Camp 52, Boston Corners, New York


Also Be Sure to Visit

James F. Justin, Civilian Conservation Corps Museum

Justin Museum of Military History

James F. Justin Museum

Please Share your Stories! E-mail the Curator to share or discuss or with any questions!

Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 John Justin, All Rights Reserved

The URL address of this page is 1