Biography of Charles Francis Augustin

AFC, 34th Bomb Squadron, Pusan East K-9 Airfield, 17th Bomb Group (L), 5th Air Force, USAF, Korean War

   My dad was born on New Year's Eve, 1930 at home 904 Somerset Street, Gloucester City, NJ. He was the only child of Charles and Catherine (Kelly). He attended and graduated from Gloucester Catholic high school in 1948. He was offered a college scholarship for music, he played the trombone and would later play with a Philly String band, but his parents thought it was better for him to get a job. His parents told him he would starve with a music degree.

   He enlisted in the Air Force because he didn't want to be drafted into the army. He attended basic training in Sampson AFB, New York in 1951. He never mentioned whether he liked New York.

   He met my mom after basic training at the Dancette in Oaklyn, NJ (1951?) sometime after he joined the Air Force but before he went to Korea. The Dancette was on East Beechwood Avenue, Oaklyn, a popular dancing venue run strictly by Webster McCloskey on the upper floor of a police training academy. It served no alcohol with disc jockeys playing records, and sometimes live music. The music ranged from slow-tunes to rock-and-roll.

   He next went to Lowry Air Force Base, in Colorado, being there in the Fall of 1951 and early 1952. He did mention Colorado. He loved it. They had an ordnance school there, so that is probably what he did there. Lots of pictures of snow. He also had photos of a trip to Mt. Washington, in New Hampshire, with an Air Force buddy on an Air Force vehicle, but whether it was training (there was an AF station there) or tourism I cannot tell. The photo shows lots of snow and an Air Force Sno-cat he says he rode to the top. I am not sure if this was during his time at Lowry or later.

   Then he went to Randolph Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas, which he didn't care for, since it was such a boring, long drive through the state. He also said it was hot and miserable. He was there from April 1952 till sometime after July 1952. They trained B-29 air crew there.

   Next he went to California, someplace up river from San Francisco, either Travis Air Force Base or McClellan Air Force Base it seems. I am not sure what he did there. McClellan was a logistics base, Travis a B-29 base. His motion sickness was not confined to just ships, and he didn't fare much better when flying. Originally, he was supposed to be a bomber crewman, so he became one of the guys that loaded the bombs onto the planes. Whether that was decided during training at Randolph or when he went to California, I don't know. His photos from Randolph show B-29s, but his photos from California are just around the barracks.

   In October, 1952, he got to make a trip home to see his parents and his fiance, Joan Howard. Joan Howard, originally from Bridesburg, PA, would visit his parents while he was in Korea and he would write her, the source of many of the photograph notes below.

   Next he is back in California, making a ferry ride from his base to San Francisco. He has photos of the Bay Bridge and Alcatraz from the ferry. This was the first part of his journey to the Korean War.

   Dad was sent over to Korea on a large ship, and was almost marked AWOL, because he did not show up for roll call. He hadn't jumped overboard or anything so interesting. He was so seasick, he was leaning over the side of the ship most of the trip. He has photos of a ceremony on the ship for when they passed the international date line, or the prime meridian. He turned his hat and pants backwards as part of it and there is a King and Court and Sheriffs running the show. He is smiling. I am not sure from the photos which ship type he went over on, but a transport of some kind, perhaps the same Admiral Benson class ship type he came home on.

   He was stationed at Pusan East Air Force Base (K-9), South Korea. He became one of the guys that loaded the bombs onto the planes. That is what he told us. His photographs also show him on the aircraft taking care of them, and around the turrets, machineguns and their ammunition. His shop is the armament shop per his notes on his photographs. One photo seems to show him ready for guard duty with carbine and helmet, looking like a ground pounder as he puts it.

   His unit was the 34th Bomb Squadron, nicknamed Thunderbirds, stationed at Pusan East airfield, Pusan, Korea. He brought home a stein with his name and that information on it, including a unit logo. The handle is in the shape of a woman. It's been broken and repaired but we still have it.

Charlie's mug from 34th Bomb Squadron, Thunderbirds, Korean War

   Charlie's 34th Bomb Squadron was a part of the 17th Bombardment Group, (L), 5th Air Force, also located then at Pusan East Air Base (also known as Airbase K-9). He has a menu from a Christmas dinner held by the 17th for NCOs in 1952. Campaign Awards for the 17th Bomb Group (L), of which the 34th Bomb Squadron was a component, were Korea, Summer-Fall 1952; Third Korean Winter; Korea, Summer 1953. The two bronze stars on Charlie's ribbon suggest the last two were his campaigns. I guess he wasn't there long enough in the Fall to count for the third. During his time there, the 17th's three squadrons engaged in bombardment of enemy transportation and, about one third of the time, close ground support. The 17th received the Distinguished Unit Citation for its service from December 1, 1952-April 30, 1953 and the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation for May 24, 1952-March 31, 1953 both of which were during Charlie's time with the 34th.

   He was at Pusan through the end of the war, leaving sometime after October 1953. He managed to get a couple trips into Pusan which was nearby while there per his photos. When he shopped in Japan I am not sure, he may have had a leave there, or he may have shopped on or near base when he was there waiting for his ship home. My dad sent my mom a beautiful yellow silk kimono and a pair of silk green pajamas. Both items had gorgeous intricate stitch work and I remember trying them on when I was a kid.

   As he was a shutterbug, the absence of photographs of Japan beyond those taken on base or on the ship or train suggest he didn't get a R&R in Japan. Given his religious bent (he has photos of the chapels at most of his bases), if he got a Tokyo R&R, I don't think it was as ribald as they tended to be. Whether Air Force ground crew didn't get them, or the war ending midway during his deployment prevented it, I do not know. Perhaps the time he spent in Pusan was in lieu of going to Japan. After Korea, Charlie went home via Japan. He spent time in FEAMCOMM (Far East Area Materials Command) at Tachikawa Air Base, Japan. He then left the way he came, via Shed 4 in Yokohama. He sailed on a General Benson class transport, based on the photos he took, and returned to the USA at Pier 38, Seattle, Washington to a hero's welcome complete with a brass marching band on the dock. This was either October or November, 1953, as he has photos in Korea dated 5 October 1953, and his photos of Japan, the ship and arriving home were developed by the week of November 16, 1953.

   He was next assigned to Langley Air Force Base, Virginia. I am not sure what he did there, though there were a number of air units there and he may have served as ground crew for one of them.

   My dad was not interested in a military career, he was proud to have served, but was not interested in staying past his required time. He finished his service in the Air Force stationed in Virginia and living off base with my mom after they married on May 8th, 1954.

   My mom was Joan Ann Howard. She was born on Salmon Ave in the Bridesburg neighborhood of Philadelphia on December 13, 1931. She was the fifth of seven children born to John and Catherine Howard. John was a police officer for the city and Catherine was a homemaker. Joan contracted polio as a young girl that led to several years of wearing a brace on her leg followed by a lifelong awareness that her right leg was not as straight as the left. She was a beautiful little girl with curly light auburn hair and blue eyes. Her skin was the very definition of the word pale and she would burn quickly in the sun.

   My mom did not have an easy childhood. For whatever reason, my mom spent her life trying to determine the reason why she did not have a good relationship with her father. This affected every aspect of her early years and definitely affected who she became when she grew up.

   The family moved from Philadelphia to Audubon NJ when her father retired from the police force. Joan's mother had grown tired of noisy neighbors on the narrow city street. They were not in New Jersey too long before John suffered a fatal heart attack while painting the girls bedroom. My mom was sixteen at the time.

   My grandmother got a job working for the phone company . I'm not exactly sure when she started working there or if the job was a direct result of my grandfather's passing, but I do remember my mom telling me that both her mother and her older sister Claire, both worked for the phone company.

   My mom was by her own description, not a great student. She was often compared to her sister Mae, who had become a nurse. My mom struggled with math, and attended a business program in high school. She had a job working in Philadelphia and this is where she met her lifelong friend Aurora Ferentinis ( this is her married name - she married a wonderful man named George Ferentinis and we always referred to them as Aunt and Uncle)

   Mom's life certainly took a happy turn when she met my dad at the dancette in Oaklyn NJ. They corresponded by letter while he was in the Air Force. I now have, in my home, the desk and bench she sat at to write each letter. Mom visited her future in-laws when my dad was in Korea. Even if they were not officially engaged, it was not announced until my dad returned from Korea in December of 1952, she would stop over and see his parents every weekend.

   My parents were married at St Rose of Lima Church in Haddon Heights NJ on May 8th 1954, Two of my mom's sisters Claire and Ann were bridesmaids, as was her good friend Aurora. Mom's sister Mae was expecting her first child so she was not in the wedding party. The reception was held at Silver Lake Inn. The menu included chicken ala king . My grandmother paid for the reception by taking bags of quarters to the bank each week.

   After The wedding my parents drove to Langley Air Force base in Virginia where my dad was stationed. They had a cute little apartment not far from the base, and my mom got a job working as the secretary for the president of a local bank. My mom was not overly impressed by some of the people in Virginia, as she would describe their neighbors standing on the back steps of their apartment throwing beer bottles into a trash can that according to mom, was a good distance away.

   My dad was discharged June 1, 1955 My parents returned to NJ after my dad was discharged. They lived in an apartment before being the first family to buy a house in what was a brand new development on Lincoln Ave on the east side of Bellmawr, NJ . This is the house where they would raise four children and greet each new grandchild.

   As I mentioned earlier, my mom never thought she was very smart, she was a great typist and had an amazing ability to do shorthand, but she never gave herself any credit for being as bright as she was. When my older brother was ready for high school, my parents decided to send him to a large, regional private high school with a steep tuition bill. This decision, and knowing that my sisters and I would soon follow in his steps, sent my homemaker mom out looking for a new career. She did a number of temporary jobs before finding a full time job as a file clerk at Alexander and Alexander, an insurance underwriting company in Philadelphia. Over the next ten years my mom took night classes and studied and worked her way out of that file room and became an insurance underwriter. She excelled at her job and really enjoyed looking after her clients. Her new career also gave mom a little bit of extra money once the kids were all out of school. She traveled to several countries, including long desired trips to Ireland and Italy. She often traveled with my younger sister, Judy and occasionally her sisters Ann and Mae. My dad had lost all interest in traveling after returning from Korea. We did a few family vacations when we were kids but he was happiest at home.

   My mom retired a few years before my dad's health started to deteriorate. He passed away in 2004. Shortly after my dad's death my mom sold the house on Lincoln Ave and had an in law suite built onto the back of my sister's house, also in Bellmawr. Mom was very active in our church and tried to stay active until her lapses in memory got difficult for her to handle .

    Mom was funny, sarcastic, loved sports, especially the Philadelphia Flyers, stubborn, caring and loving. She was a wonderful cook, and baker but would be the first to tell you pie crust was not her strong suit. According to the family story , she once threw some less than cooperative crust across the kitchen. She had been a great girl scout leader taking all three of her daughters camping at least once a year. She was a great mom but was also a great mom mom to my two oldest children, Adam and Katie as well as my youngest, Ellie. Mom volunteered to watch Ellie while my husband and I were at work. Mom would take her for long walks, along with mom's little dog, Carrie. Mom and Ellie would also go to mass in the morning, play games and draw pictures, practice her letters and watch kids shows on TV. Ellie and Carrie grew up together. My mom passed away at the age of 88 on August 27, 2020.

   One thing about my dad's military service that was certainly not a positive thing was it cemented him as a daily, somewhat heavy smoker. My dad first tried smoking as a teenager and was punished by his father. Even though my grandfather smoked a pipe, I guess he didn't want his son smoking cigarettes, or smoking at such a young age. I don't think this completely stopped him from smoking, but his time in the Air Force greatly helped to increase his addiction to nicotine. In fact he had his portrait taken shortly after enlisting, a picture my mom has on her dresser to this day. This portrait shows a very handsome young man in full uniform and a cigarette in his hand. My mom said when it was taken he didn't smoke that much and it was the photographer's idea to add in the cigarette. He can home from Korea a daily smoker who increased to two packs a day.

   My dad worked several jobs, including working for a candy company pulling taffy. He was hired as a chemical operator for Smith, Kline and French in Philadelphia (later moved to Conshohocken, PA) and worked there until his retirement. He and my mom were married for fifty years, having four children and thirteen grandchildren. (the youngest grandchild born after his death) He died September 4, 2004.

   My dad had a rifle that was stored in the back of the closet in my parents bedroom. I don't think we kids were ever supposed to know about it, but we did come across it one day. There wasn't any ammunition. My dad was not a hunter, and I never saw him with any type of gun. Not sure if this was some type of souvenir from Korea or not. My dad was not a violent type of person at all, often even as a parent calling for peace between me and my siblings as the way to solve all problems.

    My dad was a simple man in that he did not have many demands. Having grown up as an only child, he loved being a part of my mom's big family and loved being a father of four, even if the daily squabbles between us kids was more than he wanted to deal with. He was a meat and potatoes man, not overly anxious to try new things and he made no excuses for that. He was a man of routine, whether he was working or the weekend, it was pretty easy to predict what my dad would be doing . He was a very religious man but you probably would not have known that as he kept a lot of things private. He volunteered as an usher at the 11:30 AM mass every Sunday and helped at the annual carnival every July. The carnival was absolutely a labor of love as he worked in the beer garden and enjoyed sampling the goods. He loved fireworks, parades, and big bands. He enjoyed working in the garden and loved a good barbeque. He liked to watch sports, the Phillies, Eagles and Flyers but did not take the games extremely seriously while my mom lived and died with each Flyers game. My dad liked the fact that he worked for a good company, often saying that unions would not be necessary if everyone worked for decent companies. It was however just a job. I don't think he particularly enjoyed the work. I don't think this was a dream job. I think this was an opportunity that presented itself after he got out of the Air Force and he and my mom moved back to New Jersey from Virginia. Dad's cousin was working at Smith Kline and got dad a job as a chemical operator. This job paid a decent salary with good benefits that allowed my parents to buy their first and only house in Bellmawr, NJ in December 1959. In fact, my dad was closing on the house on December 21st, the same day my mom was in the hospital having my older brother. Years later when the three bedroom rancher included three additional daughters, my dad would enjoy coming home from the 3-11 shift and taking a beer out to the pool and floating around on a raft in the early hours of the morning.

    My dad retired from Smith Kline after 25 years. He tried his hand at cooking as he started making dinner for my mom, who was still working and really appreciated coming home to a nice meal. He loved being a pop pop to his grandchildren. My dad had several health issues including COPD from years of smoking. He tried to quit, he told everyone he quit but after he passed in 2004 my mom found several places around the house where he had hidden cigarettes. I don't think he actually smoked any from his hidden stashes, his movement was pretty limited but it may have made him feel better to know they were there. My dad was a fun loving, funny, quiet, non judgmental man whom we have missed every day.

   Any information about his company, camp or service would be appreciated.

----- C. Justin

   Below, Charlie Augustin's service related photographs. The captions, unless otherwise noted, are his handwritten notes on the back of the photo which often include a date. Many are not captioned.

No Caption, Charlie Augustin, Air Force ID photo

Post Card from Basic Training, Front

Post Card from Basic Training, Back, The airmen pictured are in "Flight Formation" at parade rest. This is how we dress all the time.

Bunk Tag, Basic Training, Front

Bunk Tag, Basic Training. Note on back "PFC Rate 21 Aug 5?" the number is blurred but he was in basic in 1951.

COLORADO 1951-1952.

These are the two piece fatigues I bought. They're not G.I. but they let us wear them. (not sure of location but seems early in career (still has basic hair and talking about the clothing) and the architecture is similar to Lowry AFB, so guessing this is Lowry, CO).

Friends (Lowry AFB, Fall 1951)

No Caption (Album Prints booklet, Hull Inc, Denver, Colo.)

No Caption (Album Prints booklet, Hull Inc, Denver, Colo.)

No Caption (Album Prints booklet, Hull Inc, Denver, Colo.)

No Caption (Album Prints booklet, Hull Inc, Denver, Colo.)

No Caption (Album Prints booklet, Hull Inc, Denver, Colo.)

The Family I had dinner with, with my buddy, (Denver CO Developer).

Me and my Civveys (Denver CO Developer).

Four Rebels (Denver CO Developer).

Me and my O.D.s and the snow. (Denver CO Developer).

More snow. (Denver CO Developer).

Sure gets deep here, don't it? (Denver CO Developer).

A couple of friends. (Denver CO Developer).

One of the many statues. (Denver CO Developer. That's Charlie).

The Civic Center

(End of Book with note Mom and Dad, with Love Charlie

No Caption (Barracks somewhere).

Stapleton Airfield, Denver Colorado. (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas March 1952, Denver Elev 5280)

John and Phil

This is our Service Club where we have parties, T.V., reading rooms, Etc.

The tower on top of the locker room is the radio control tower across the street.

Look again, bald spot. This picture makes me look thin in one place, and show up a spare tire in another. I think the camera needs cleaning. That's Phil Dietz from California with me. (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas Jul 1952. Note B-29 and hangar in right background).

No Caption (this is the "Raj", the Admin building of Randolph Air Force Base)

Just me.

Another guy I met in California

A buddy from Florida and me.

No Caption (Charlie Augustin on right. Given the shirts and building in background I think this is California)

No Caption (I think this is California)

This shot was taken too close, it blurred. 31 May 53.

This was a waste of film. The jet is an F-84. 2 Oct 53 (Author's note, not a waste!)

Alcatraz Prison

Chal and Chubby, 51 (note by Joan Augustin. Chubby was Charlies best friend and best man, this is before Korea, possibly before he went to Army. Probably at his grandmother's shore house at Grassy Sound, first house on the left after the bridge on 147 leading into Wildwood, had a sign that said Augustin on it. Chal was Joan's nickname for Charlie.).

Christmas Menu 1952, NCO Mess, 17th Bombardment Wing (L), Korea, cover

Christmas Menu 1952, NCO Mess, 17th Bombardment Wing (L), Korea, menu

Christmas Menu 1952, NCO Mess, 17th Bombardment Wing (L), Korea, wing commander and chaplain messages autograph page (unused).

Christmas Menu 1952, NCO Mess, 17th Bombardment Wing (L), Korea, autograph page (unused).

Charlie Augustin's Airman First Class sleeve rank insignia

No Caption (development mark dated Nov 1953).

Oct 5th 1952. (Charlie, his fiance Joan Howard, with his parents Charlies Catherine (Kelly) and maternal grandmother).

The sign on the building says "Welcome to Japan".

Close up of ice on tip of helicopter rotor blade

No Caption (development mark dated Nov 1953. I think that is Japanese on the can, so this may be when he was on his way home, or on way there).

No Caption (development mark dated Nov 1953. Welcome Home Defenders of Freedom, from other photos, Seattle Port, Pier 38, Returning to USA)

No Caption (development mark dated Nov 1953, so this must be the ship he came home on).

No Caption (development mark dated Nov 1953)

This is the plane I built. 2 Oct 53.

The collection is exclusively of M. M. now. Doris Day and the other "foreigners" are out. This only shows one side of it. The rest is around the corner of the wall.

No Caption (development mark dated Nov 1953)

No Caption (development mark dated Mar 1953)

No Caption (Appears to be Pusan?)

This C-46 was flying low last week spraying bug killer. 23 June 53.

No Caption (Nov 1953 Developer Date. Sign is directory for FEAMCOM Area, Feamcom stands for Far East Air Material Command. This is probably Japan, on his way home.)

No Caption (Nov 1953 Developer Date. Seems to be Feamcom again, likely on way home)

Hanging a wing bomb (B26)

Here I am at the wheel of our new weapons carrier. 23 June 53

No Caption

The old and the new

Just the open sea in mid-Pacific

Two of the guys I pal around with, Kupke and Royals (not sure of last two letters Kupke name, Kupbr maybe, but Kupke seems likely)

No Caption (says Korean National Airlines in English and I guess Korean on bus)

No Caption (Sign says Pusan East Air Base, Home of the Black Knights, APO 970)

No caption (B-26, engines running, cockpit canopy open)

This is the BST Bomb Service Truck. 14 Dec 52.

No Caption (Developers Mark May 53 Top Turret of B26 without cover)

No Caption (Developers Mark May 53)

No Caption (Developers Mark May 53)

Here's a tail view of the 500 pounders. 14 Dec 52.

This sign is over the top of our shop tent. It shows our squadron insignia. 14 Dec 52.

A couple 26s just waiting. 14 Dec 52

This shows how the bomb is lowered from the BST to the hoist. 14 Dec 52.

This is what our place looks like after a shower. Some puddle. 31 May 53

10 Mar 53 (note on front points out engine on the ground, probably the one photo'd up close)

Waiting to do disembarkation Yokohama

No Caption (Developers Mark May 53)

Watchie (Japanese for me or something like that)(That parenthetical was Charlie's)

No Caption (troops in formation, Pusan East)

No Caption (Developers Mark May 53)

No Caption (main sign says 17th Bomb Group (L) Transient Mess)

This is it. 14 Dec 52 (Note says Home Tent #27. Would be Pusan East AB, Korea)

Some more planes and a BST. 14 Dec 52

No Caption (formation of planes, does not appear to be Korea)

Here's another "combat" shot taken during a recent alert. 8 Oct 53.

500 pounders hung under the wing. 14 Dec 52.

Taken from the train in Japan. People live under this bridge. Note the wash hanging out. 14 Dec 52.

No Caption (Post Exchange, likely Pusan East Airbase, K-9, Korea)

No Caption (appears to be a C-47 taking off from Pusan East K-9 Airbase, Korea)

No Caption (appears to be a post chapel, Korea, possibly Pusan East)

No Caption (appears to be a B-26 taking off from Pusan East K-9 Airbase, Korea)

No Caption (one of the buildings of Pusan East)

A buddy and me. 4 Aug 53 (Charlie on right)

4 Aug 53 (Charlie)

9 June 53 (Charlie middle, Carl Adams left, Jim Watson, right)

No Caption (sign seems to say Theater, building looks like that too)

No Caption (Developer date Mar 53. Appears to be the Bomb Service Truck and two Korean soldiers)

No Caption (Developer date Mar 53. A dog on the dash of a truck).

No Caption (Charlie's Air Force picture on his Mom's? Dresser at home)

My barracks in Cal

Ralph Baird, a good friend

No Caption (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas Apr 1952).

An underwater ballet at the Aquarium (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas Apr 1952).

No Caption (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas Apr 1952).

No Caption (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas Apr 1952).

No Caption (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas Apr 1952).

No Caption (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas Apr 1952).

St. Chrisptopher Card (With AF Number. Medal gone, he wore one, maybe it was this one)

St. Christopher Card, Back (noting Lowry AFB, Feb 1952)

Base Library Card, Langley Air Force Base, VA

These planes are the same as our mail planes. 23 June 53 (Looks like a DC-4/C-54, MATs perhaps, medical evacuation of wounded given the ambulances. The 11th Medical Evacuation Hospital in Pusan perhaps used Pusan East K-9 to fly men to hospitals in Japan).

I tried to get the US and UN flags in here but fouled up.

No Caption (is a registration for Charlies 1953 Blue Ford 2 door sedan).

No Caption (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas Jul 1952.)

One of three pools on base. Note the fancy trees. (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas Jul 1952.)

View across Tuckerman Ravine, famous as the last ski place every year in Eastern US. Note clouds below.

Charlie Augustin and his wife Joan Augustin, nee Howard

No Caption (Shoulder patch appears to be 5th Air Force patch, the parent command of 34th BS and 17th BG(L))

No Caption (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas April 1952.)

No Caption (Developer mark Fox Tone Print Fox Co San Antonio Texas April 1952. Apparently Charlie's car in Texas)

No Caption (Joan Augustin next to a wagon, think they went to Williamsburg while Charlie was stationed in Virginia).

No Caption (Development Date Week of Nov 16, 1953 but may have been reprint of earlier photos. USS General J. C. Breckenridge, AP-1 seen from Charlie's ship).

No Caption (Development Date Week of Nov 16, 1953 but may have been reprint of earlier photos. Ship Charlie was on, a USS Admiral W. S. Benson (AP-120) class P-2 transport from the particulars visible in these photos).

No Caption (Development Date Week of Nov 16, 1953 but may have been reprint of earlier photos. Welcome to Japan)

No Caption (Development Date Week of Nov 16, 1953 but may have been reprint of earlier photos. USS General J. C. Breckenridge, AP-1 seen from Charlie's ship).

No Caption (Development Date Week of Nov 16, 1953 but may have been reprint of earlier photos. )

No Caption (Development Date Week of Nov 16, 1953 but may have been reprint of earlier photos. )

No Caption (Development Date Week of Nov 16, 1953)

No Caption (Development Date Week of Nov 16, 1953. Passing Freighter near Island

No Caption (Development Date Week of Nov 16, 1953 but may have been reprint of earlier photos. Again a Benson class P-2 Transport)

(Back of Photos developed in Nov 53, ship ride home from Yokohama)

No Caption (Charlie with a TV, I am thinking this is in new home in Langley with Joan?)

No Caption (snowy mountain from airplane in flight, wing visible on right)

No Caption (the bow of the ship underway)

Joan Augustin (Nee Howard) Movie Pass, Langley AFB (Front)

Joan Augustin (Nee Howard) Movie Pass, Langley AFB (Back)

Back of photo of Stapleton Airfield, showing Charlie's note.

Back of the photo book of the photos sent to Joan (I think). Says "The Usual, Denver, Nov 1951".

I look like a ground pounder in this shot. 27 Sep 53.

Back of the photo above showing Charlie's contemporaneous handwritten notes.

Courier Post Article Dec 10, 1953, on engagement announcement.

Article Tuesday, Nov. 10, 1953, Courier Post, Charlie returns from Korea.

The ship Charlie returned on, the USNS General Hugh J. Gaffey T-AP=121

Many of the stories contained in the online James F. Justin Museum of Military History are now in paperback and kindle ebook format, with more coming, check out

How We Served, by John Kenneth Justin

Also, Please help this site preserve our history, become a Patron today. Become a Patron!



Also Be Sure to Visit

James F. Justin, Civilian Conservation Corps Museum

Justin Museum of Military History

James F. Justin Museum

Please Share your Stories! E-mail the Curator to share or discuss or with any questions!

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

The URL of this page is below

Copyright 2020 John Justin, All Rights Reserved