History of 2606th Civilian Conservation Corps Company

 

CCC Company 2606, Camp Marshall, Marshall, IL & Camp Perrot, Camp SP-16-Wis., Perrot State Park, Coon Valley, Wisconsin

 

From Sparta Civilian Conservation Corps District, Sixth Corps Area, 1937 Annual

 

History 2606th Company
Camp Perrot, SP-16-Wis.
Trempealeau, Wisconsin

          On August 19, 1935, an advance detail of enrollees were transferred from Camp Arbutus Lake to the present location in Perrot State Park where Camp Perrot was established and is located at the present time. At the time of their arrival the mean worked under the supervision of three park service employees who had been stationed here to run a preliminary survey of the park and determine boundary lines of the area. Mr. Odbert, our present Superintendent, was a member of the technical group who worked on the initial surveying and laying out of the camp area.

          Immediately after completion of the survey, construction started on the present buildings and by the end of September they were ready or in condition to be occupied by a company.

          During the latter part of October, 1935, the advanced detail from Camp Arbutus Lake was recalled and a group of fourteen men arrived from company 2606, Camp Marshall, Marshall, Illinois. Within the next few days, or on November 4th, the remainder of Company 2606 consisting of 143 enrollees arrived and completely established the primary personnel of Camp Perrot.

          Work consisting of improving and building up the camp area such as laying out walks and roads, transplanting trees and shrubs, or in general, beautifying and preparing the camp as a future livable home for the personnel. This work lasted for approximately ten days. At the end of this period the men started working in the park under the supervision of the park service department. The first two projects consisted mainly of building a garage for the technical division’s equipment and transplanting trees located in a section of the park area that was to be flooded by the backwater of dam No. 6 on the Mississippi River. The transplanting of trees established a nursery field where shrubs and plants could be taken care of, and also for the purpose of rehabitating barren areas in this and in other state parks. Upon completion of the first two projects, the field work branched out into various undertakings with a considerable amount of work being done at Merrick State Park, a side area of Camp Perrot. The following is a resume of work accomplished by enrollee labor of this camp, namely: construction of a shelter house, oil house, storage garage, two pit latrines, 2.6 miles of trails through the park, 400 rods of fence, 5,000 tons of limestone quarried and approximately 500 yards of earth excavated, 500 yards of rip rapping, 12,000 trees transplanted, 1,252 man-days in fighting forest fires, 4.7 acres of soil preparation, 12 acres of eradicating poisonous weeds along trails, a complete topographic survey of the area and approximately 2,230 man-days expended at the Trempealeau Waterfowl Refuge. The above is not a complete resume of the work accomplished, but is intended as a partial summary of the work done by the camp. At present the field work consists mostly of constructing parking and picnic areas, preparation of a bathing beach, building roads and foot trails, transporting and preparing materials from the quarries and making topographic surveys.

          In conclusion, the personnel, during the history of Camp Perrot, other than carrying on the ordinary routine of work and camp life, has not had an opportunity to enact any unusual events of heroism or outstanding awards for excellence. This is due to the reality that only on two occasions have the members of the company been afforded a chance to assist in an emergency. The first being on August 14, 1936, when fifty enrollees traveled to Copper Falls, Mellen, Wisconsin, to aid in fighting forest fires and during the month of February, 1937, a group of men were sent to assist in the flooded areas of Southern Illinois and Arkansas.

          Twenty members of the original company comprise part of the company strength at this writing. During the enrollment of the personnel, it is authentically gathered that under the direction of the Army and Technical Staff, three important objectives have been maintained: a successful and interesting work plan, a beneficial and enlightening leisure time program, and, lastly, an undivided and cooperative spirit. These objectives foster a high esteem which the writer in behalf of the entire personnel wishes to include as an important factor in the history or narrative of Camp Perrot.

          Commanders – Capt. R.A. Brazda, November 4, 1935, to August 11, 1936; Lieut. Elmer E. Frederick, August 11, 1936, to August 15, 1936; Capt. Fred D. Barrett, August 15, 1936, to December 4, 1936; Capt. Jens P. Jensen, December 4, 1936, to present date.

          Executive Officers – Lieut. T.A. Stallions, November 4, 1935, to January 15, 1936; Lieut. F.L. Duggan, January 15, 1936, to April 1, 1936; Lieut. A.J. Crowley, April 1, 1936, to September, 1936; Lieut. T.A. Kronberg, September 1936, to February 1937; Lieut. J.M. Sturman, February 1937 to present date.

          Surgeons – Lieut. A.A. Sverdlin, November 1935, to July 1936; Lieut. E.C. O’Connor, July 1936, to November 1936; Lieut. S.F. Radzyminski, November 1936 to present date.

----- Submitted by Curator

Please Share your Stories! E-mail the Curator to share or discuss or with any questions!

LINKS

Back to Sparta Civilian Conservation Corps District, Sixth Corps Area, 1937 Annual Collection

BACK TO JAMES F. JUSTIN CCC DOCUMENT COLLECTION

BACK TO James F. Justin Civilian Conservation Corps Museum Biographies

BACK TO Justin Museum of Military History, Army Biographies

Also Be Sure to Visit

James F. Justin, Civilian Conservation Corps Museum

Justin Museum of Military History

James F. Justin Museum

Please Share your Stories! E-mail the Curator to share or discuss or with any questions!

Copyright 2007-2015 John Justin, All Rights Reserved

The URL of this site is

http://www.justinmuseum.com/cccpapers/co2606history.html

The URL of this site was

http://www.geocities.com/cccpapers/co2606history.html